Monday, September 17, 2007

Second line with Hot 8 Brass Band and Trombone Shorty

On Saturday Grace and I jumped into the French Quarter after our visit with Augusta and a brief hello with Alabama Slim, who'd doing great by the way. :)

After a quick treat at Cafe Du Monde we were surprised by a second line on Decatur. When we heard the brass we went running out to the street to see the Hot 8 Brass Band leading a small crowd. They had a great sound, and I jumped right in front to grab a few pictures. While looking up at the trombone player I said to myself, "Wait, it's Trombone Shorty!" I think a lady with them saw my face and said to me, "That's Trombone Shorty." Grace and I started calling out to him while a man in their group started calling us in. I grabbed Grace's hand, jumped in right next to the man inviting us and right behind Trombone. To my surprise he tapped Trombone on his shoulder who turned to us and reached back with his right hand for Grace. We got to shake hands and then they went on their way off of Decatur. We still continued after them for a tiny bit, and then smiled afterwards at how much fun it had all been. Our timing in the Quarter always seems to bring about some magic for us.





We were first introduced to Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews last April 2006 during a second line through the Treme neighborhood. We were all headed to the MLK park to check out Wynton Marsalis' Congo Square performance, and the crowd of hundreds jammed with the brass and percussion en route. As we were about to jump out of the line to grab some shade for Grace, the crowd stepped back to make a big circle around one particular brass player. I remember that we were very impressed by him, and didn't learn that he was Troy Andrews until reading about him on Wynton's web page.

We checked out his scene through online postings, and then were lucky enough to cross paths with him again at the Superdome reopening in September. Because I had been at Sunday's rehearsal for the on-field performance, I had the opportunity to meet him as he head out of the Dome. He was very kind with me when I approached him and let him know how much I appreciated his performance that night as well as at Congo Square.

My husband got to check him out right here in Baton Rouge at one of the downtown outdoor performances. I had been in NJ at the time and missed the event, but it was good to experience it through my husband's accounts. Maybe they'll come back one day.

We were then surprised at the 2007 Jazz Fest when he stepped onto the stage with Norah Jones for a performance of Sinkin' Soon. We really were thrilled to have another chance to listen to him.


I'm looking forward to learning more about the Hot 8 Brass Band and hopefully seeing them again. They're playing tomorrow night, 9/18, at the Shaw Center downtown, but I don't think we'll be able to go unfortunately.


Please check out both Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews and the Hot 8 Brass Band. :D

http://www.tromboneshorty.com/
http://www.myspace.com/tromboneshorty


hot8brassband.com
http://www.myspace.com/hot8brassband

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home